2021: A Successful Year At A Glance
Thank You For All Your Support
Our membership has grown this year, and we want to thank you for all your support. The Balance Group exists to provide a balanced approach to solving large, systemic issues concerning existing and proposed man-made systems and their impact on the human condition and the environment at large. We wouldn’t be able to do this important work without the backing of our incredible members.
Invite your colleagues and friends to join our membership as well! Our members include astronomers, physicists, scientists, environmentalists, technologists, telecommunications experts and medical professionals, among others. Our members are also people interested in balancing the needs for technology with those of healthy ecosystems and a clean environment.
We'll see you in 2022, Happy New Year!
The Balance Group drafts and files an HHS/FDA petition on RF exposure for Americans for Responsible Technology, Environmental Health Trust, and a variety of other co-petitioners
Summary (see the attached file for the full petition)
Petitioner AMERICANS FOR RESPONSIBLE TECHNOLOGY (ART), a not-for-profit coalition of more than 150 allied organizations and other petitioners Environmental Health Trust, Consumers for Safe Cell Phones, California Brain Tumor Association, Tahoe Stewards, Manhattan Neighbors for Safer Telecommunications, Sally Jewell Coxe and Robert Strayton hereby respectfully request that the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), within 30 days, issue a Declaration with enabling regulations, that an Imminent Hazard to public health currently exists, and to promptly ensure that this Declaration is communicated affirmatively to all public and private entities that are affected by the Imminent Hazard. We submit this Petition in the form required by 21 CFR Section 10.30 pursuant to 21 U.S. 360kk, and Sec. 21 CFR 2.5, for the following reasons:
1. The FDA has not clarified its present official safety policy relating to non-medical devices emitting radiofrequency (RF) radiation.
2. There is widespread public belief and reliance by federal agencies and state governments, physicians, health care providers, fire departments and other critical services, and businesses of all kinds that such FDA health-based standards exist, and that all wireless devices on the market are compliant with those protective standards, when there is no evidence that such a policy has actually been adopted following well established procedures and regulations under the Administrative Procedures Act (APA).
3. Public exposure to non-ionizing RF radiation is growing at an exponential rate, causing a significant percentage of the American public, including our most vulnerable citizens— children, elderly and disabled persons, persons with implanted medical devices and pregnant women—to be regularly and continuously exposed to RF emissions. Meanwhile, scientific studies are documenting biological harm at levels far below the current 25-year-old Federal Communications Commission (FCC) exposure guidelines that only protect from the heating of human tissue.
4. Petitioners and millions like them are being seriously harmed, and left with no recourse or means of escape, unless and until the HHS and FDA immediately address and rectify the present climate of regulatory chaos. (See Declarations in Appendices 2 and 3.)
In sum, Petitioners respectfully request that the HHS Secretary: (i) declare an Imminent Hazard pursuant to CFR 21 Part 2 Sec. 2.5 (Imminent Hazard to the Public Health) within 30 days, and (ii) communicate affirmatively to all private and public entities affected by the Imminent Hazard the present uncertainty relating to whether the FDA’s official policy and regulations concerning RF radiation emitted from non-medical devices are APA-compliant.
BALANCE GROUP’s Reply Brief (Jointly with ViaSat): Environmental & Human Impact Review Is Necessary Regarding SpaceX-Starlink Mega-Constellation
Human and Environmental Radiofrequency Protection Ruling: The DC Circuit court ruled today that the FCC "failed to provide a reasoned explanation for its determination that its guidelines adequately protected" humans from negative health effects unrelated to cancer.. In Environmental Health Trust/Childrens Health Defense v. FCC, the court also stated the FCC showed "a complete failure to respond to comments concerning environmental harm caused by RF radiation." Two amicus briefs were filed in the case by Balance Group co-founders. Jim Turner and Julian Gresser filed on behalf of the Building Biology Institute. Stephen L. Goodman filed on behalf of Joseph Sandri.
LINK to Ruling
The Balance Group's legal brief (jointly with ViaSat) challenging the FCC's approving the launch of the largest satellite mega-constellation in human history because its impacts remain largely unstudied
BRIEF OF APPELLANTS VIASAT, INC. AND THE BALANCE GROUP
1. Dr. Christopher Baddiley. Dr. Baddiley earned a Ph.D. in astrophysics from University College London (UCL) in 1973, and a B.S. with Honors in Physics from Newcastle University in 1969. Currently I teach a U3A course in astrophysics and am a Fellow with the Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) and a member of the International Astronomical Union (IAU).
2. Dr. Roger Malina. Dr. Malina earned a Bachelor of Science in physics from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1972, and a Ph.D. in Astronomy from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1979. Formerly the Principal Investigator for the NASA Extreme Ultraviolet Explorer Satellite at the University of California, Berkeley, and the former director of the Observatoire Astronomique de Marseille Provence (OAMP) and of the Laboratoire d’Astrophysique de Marseille in Marseille, France, and member of its observational cosmology group, which investigates the nature of dark matter and dark energy. He is currently distinguished professor of arts and technology, and professor of physics at the University of Texas at Dallas, and a Directeur de Recherche in the CNRS at the University of Aix Mareseille.
3. Mark Dankberg. Mr Dankberg is the Chairman of the Board and Executive Chairman of Viasat, Inc.. He co-founded the company in 1986, and served as its CEO from 1986 until assuming his current role in November 2020. Mr. Dahlberg earned a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and a Master of Electrical Engineering from Rice University, and is a member of the Rice University Electrical and Computer Engineering Hall of Fame. In 2017, he was elected to the National Academy of Engineering for my contributions to broadband internet communications via satellite.
4. Joseph Sandri. Mr. Sandri is a co-founder of Appellant, The Balance Group, and currently its operating officer. He is also Chief Executive Officer of Thought Delivery Systems, Inc., a privately held technology conglomerate based in Silver Spring, Md.; president of the National Spectrum Management Association (NSMA) (www.nsma.org); and a board member of the Archangel Ancient Tree Archive (www.AncientTreeArchive.org).